Baker's Partial Dozen

Baker's Partial Dozen

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Back to basics

Today is the first time I've been able to sit since Saturday, so I'm just now updating my blog. Smarty-pants, here, wasn't thinking clearly on Saturday and tried to move things along too quickly. You see, I've always had back issues and they got really bad just after I got married... mainly because I was trying to introduce orthotics and a heel lift for my right side (which is 1/2" shorter than my left). I need these things to correct my overlying issues, but they cause extreme short-term discomfort. Well, just after my body had adapted to them, I got pregnant... and had extremely swollen feet. I have huge feet anyways and my shoes were a tight fit with everything in them before. Well, needless to say, I couldn't get my shoes on and ended up taking everything back out.

So, here we are, about 8 months later and I'm just starting to train to walk a half marathon in May. Little was I realizing that just starting to walk more could cause discomfort in my back. But then, on top of that I think, "I should start introducing my orthotics and heel lift again." NOT SMART!!! I got home from my walk on Saturday and took a shower. As I stepped out of the shower, my back completely seized up and I could hardly even get dressed. I went in an laid on my bed for a minute to see if I could get it to calm down, but no dice! Here we are, 4 days and a chiropractic adjustment later, and I'm just now getting to the point I can sit. Oh, the joys!

The hardest part has obviously been the amount of quality time I've been lacking with Jayna. I hate it!!! I haven't been able to sit up and feed her, haven't been able to sit on the floor and play with her, haven't been able to hold her and cuddle, and I haven't been able to put her to bed or go in and get her out. My favorite part of the day is when I get to go into her bedroom in the mornings to get her out of her crib and she immediately smiles and giggles when she sees me. Scott has had that luxury the last 3 mornings, and I must say I'm jealous. I have one more adjustment from the chiropractor tomorrow and then hopefully I'll be better, for the most part. Then, I'm bound and determined to start practicing yoga and make it part of my life. That's the one thing everybody has sworn to me would be the most help, but I've avoided it because I'm the least flexible person in the world and yoga is ridiculously hard for me. Yes, I know it will help make me more flexible, but I'm really impatient :).

I've got to get back to basics when it comes to my health... walking regularly, yoga, and healthy eating. I'm getting there, but I know I can do better. Hopefully my body will rebel less if I do these basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment